commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [RNG] Release v1.1 without the examples? (Was: [rng] japicmp failure)
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2018 10:40:28 GMT
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 11:47:33 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>> On Jun 7, 2018, at 11:26 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 10:49:28 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>>> I’m a +0 for not using japicmp because of its issues. We do need
>>> another [parent] release because of the japicmp skip availability
>>> in
>>> 0.12.0. I’d like to get the [release-plugin] up to snuff before
>>> going
>>> out though.
>>>
>>> Is [rng] ready to go for 1.1?
>>
>> It has been ready for more than 6 months!
>> [Even more when taking into account that the last work on it was
>> "just" to ensure that the JPMS modules were correct.]
>>
>>> If so, I can try to roll an RC for you.
>>
>> You are welcome, of course. But how will you get around the problem?
>
> Use the old version of commons-parent that works?

I'm afraid that old CP versions will turn up other problems (one
I recall would be "FindBugs" vs "SpotBugs") so that the cure would
be the same: release without the problematic module; and this is a
non-issue since it's mainly an illustration of the functionality
provided by the component, and some tools only useful during
development (for testing new RNG implementations).

Note also that only "mvn site" is affected.  Would it be possible
to separate the "site" goal from the rest of the goals used by the
release plugin? Instead of
  $ mvn -Prelease -Pcommons-rng-examples clean test site deploy
(which fails), we'd have
  $ mvn -Prelease clean test site
  $ mvn -Prelease -Pcommons-rng-examples deploy
The site would be missing info about the "examples" module, but
that's much of a problem than no release (and no site).

Regards,
Gilles