commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org>
Subject Re: [all] java release cycle predicament
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2018 16:53:21 GMT
Look at Joda-Convert/Joda-Parent for example. A Java 6 project that
builds on Java 8 or later, and has a module-info.java.

Cobertura just needs replacing with JaCoCo.

FindBugs replaced by SpotBugs

Lots of plugin versions updated.

And lots of profiles, as per Joda-Convert/Joda-Parent

Stephen
https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-convert
https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-parent

On 10 July 2018 at 17:32, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It occurs to me that we are in a bit of a predicament in terms of being able to remain
current with java, if the projected 6-month release to EOL cycle for major versions of java
indeed continues. For example, as of now java9 is EOL, yet we still don’t have sufficient
build tools (maybe almost) to even think about doing a release building with java9, let alone
the current version of java, v10. For example, [lang] fails on mvn -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
clean test site deploy on java10 with the following error:

> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site
(default-site) on project commons-lang3: failed to get report for org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin:
Plugin org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin:2.7 or one of its dependencies could not be
resolved: Could not find artifact com.sun:tools:jar:0 at specified path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/../lib/tools.jar

> What are we to do if they keep up this cycle? Depressing as it may seem, I don’t see
the current OSS java ecosystem sustainable. We won’t get stable maven build plugins fast
enough to keep up. We can keep building to java8, but I don’t know what to do with higher
versions.