commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Juntunen <matt.juntu...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [numbers] Making Quaternion a VALJO
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2018 06:05:31 GMT
Hi guys,

FYI, I've been working on a quaternion-related class named QuaternionRotation for commons-geometry
(see link below). It includes slerp as well as several other geometry-oriented methods, such
as conversion to/from axis-angle representations and creation from basis rotations. It's not
quite ready for a merge yet since I still need to finish the Euler angle conversions.

I did not use the Quaternion class from commons-numbers since I wanted to focus solely on
using quaternions to represent 3D rotations. I felt like the commons-numbers class was too
general for this.

Regards,
Matt

https://github.com/darkma773r/commons-geometry/blob/transforms/commons-geometry-euclidean/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/geometry/euclidean/threed/QuaternionRotation.java
[https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/3809623?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/darkma773r/commons-geometry/blob/transforms/commons-geometry-euclidean/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/geometry/euclidean/threed/QuaternionRotation.java>

darkma773r/commons-geometry<https://github.com/darkma773r/commons-geometry/blob/transforms/commons-geometry-euclidean/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/geometry/euclidean/threed/QuaternionRotation.java>
Apache Commons Geometry. Contribute to darkma773r/commons-geometry development by creating
an account on GitHub.
github.com

________________________________
From: Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 9:37 AM
To: dev@commons.apache.org
Subject: Re: [numbers] Making Quaternion a VALJO

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 14:22:45 +0000, Steve Bosman wrote:
>> > and I have also emailed an ICLA.
>
>> Not received/acknowledged yet.
>
> I am now listed on the "Persons with signed CLAs but who are not
> (yet)
> committers." page.

Welcome!

>> > I think two convenience divide methods performing qr^{-1} and
>> r^{-1}q
>> > for q
>> > and r would be useful, but I couldn't think of nice names for
>> them.
>
>> What are the use-cases?
>> Why aren't "multiply" and "inverse" enough?
>
> I must admit I'm new to quaternions and stumbled into the project
> while
> trying to improve my understanding so I'm not going to claim great
> knowledge of how common these operations are. I was primarily
> thinking of
> Quaternion Interpolation - SLERP and SQUAD. It seems to me that you
> end up
> creating inverse instances and throwing them away a lot and I thought
> it
> would be good to reduce that overhead.

Surely, the class "Quaternion" is minimal but, before adding to
the API, we be careful to have use-cases for low-level operations.
Those mentioned above seems more high-level, tied to a specific
domain (see also "Commons Geometry", another new component not yet
released) but I may be wrong...

Regards,
Gilles