commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [All][RNG] Fixing the download page
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2018 15:54:35 GMT
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 15:11:59 +0000, sebb wrote:
> [...]
>> ---CUT---
>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>> org.apache.commons:commons-build-plugin:1.10-SNAPSHOT:download-page
>> (default-cli) on project commons-rng: Failed to execute: Executing
>> Ant
>> script: generate-xdocs.build.xml [download-page]: Failed to
>> execute.:
>> The following error occurred while executing this line:
>> [ERROR] /tmp/plexus-ant-component10719660622814449892.build.xml:215:
>> Unable to create javax script engine for javascript
>> ---CUT---
>> [Note: this is on Java 9 and Java 10; on Java 8 it works fine.]
>
> OK, so that needs a bug report against the plugin (and patch if
> possible).
>
>> > Since the commons build plugin is only used to automate editing
>> the
>> > download source file it does not matter whether you use a SNAPSHOT
>> or
>> > edit the file manually. Whatever gets the job done.
>>
>> Sure.  Even "manual" is fine as long as we are not mislead top
>> believe that this is taken of care of automatically.
>
> If the docs are misleading, then raise a bug and/or provide patches
> the documentation.
>
>> The step-by-step release recipe detailed in the "doc" directory
>> of "Commons RNG" had worked flawlessly for its v1.0 release.
>> But then for the v1.1 release (done by Rob, with the release-plugin)
>> some steps became outdated, with some of their replacement not fully
>> working (as I've detailed in other threads), manual tweaks had to
>> be done, but are nowhere documented; this is understandable since
>> the plugin is in development; but what is less, is that the release
>> process was broken for some components (namely "Commons RNG"), and
>> contrary to what you wrote several times, there was no easy way back
>> (i.e. downgrading CP) because the component's POM relied on CP for
>> common configuration necessary to fix general problems.
>
> In that case raise a bug for CP and/or provide patches.

>> > The download plugin is basically a script to automate maintenance
>> of
>> > the download.xml source file.
>> >
>> > AFAIK it has nothing to do with the release plugin.
>>

> I meant that the output of the build plugin cannot affect the release
> plugin if the latter does not invoke the former.
>
>> IMO, it has (cf. above); it does not make sense to prepare an RC
>> with a wrong "download" page since it's likely to be a blocker
>> (during the vote, or ... at the announcement).
>
> As noted above, raise a bug/enhancement if the release plugin should
> do more.
>

>> > Except of course you need ensure the download xml file is correct
>> > before starting the release.
>>
>> I do not agree; For as long as I've been here, the advice
>> (documented)
>> has been: "Run this command [...] to regenerate the download page".
>
> Huh? That is still the case. And AFAIK that is what I wrote.

The "command" above is the one in the template file i.e.
   mvn commons-build:download-page
[copied from the "meta-template" file which you've just modified.]

This is generating the page with SHA-1 and not SHA-256; so, no,
it's not working currently (unless one knows it, and knows that
a SNAPSHOT exists with the fix, and knows that one must install
it locally and invoke it differently).

Bug is in the "Commons" procedure where a required tool stopped
behaving according to requirements (that are enforced on its
dependents - Cf. rejected announcement).

> You either need to edit the file or run the build plugin to update
> the
> download source page.
>
>> If/when the Apache policy changes, it should become a priority task
>> update <whatever> we rely on to make releases (that should abide by
>> that policy).
>> We cannot ask that people who use _recommended_ procedures suddenly
>> do
>> without.
>
> See above - not the case.

It is.

>> The release-plugin goes in the right direction, but not all basic
>> expectations are met yet; so that people trying it all get hit by
>> the same problems (cf. current attempt for [Collections]).
>
> So raise bugs/enhancement requests and/or patches and get it fixed.

I did provide inputs about expectations from the plugin (from
a user perspective), months ago.  The release of "Commons RNG"
(v1.1) was delayed by several months so that it could serve as
a testing ground.

I'm not the one who complained about the release process; as
I said, the "mini-recipe" for the components for which I was
the RM worked quite well (because it was "step-by-step").

The ML archive contains a discussion about what could perhaps
work better in a multimodule project.  I don't think there
was any follow-up on the suggestion, so that I don't know
whether the current state of the plugin is considered "feature
complete" despite its not fully working with a modular project.
Its documentation doesn't mention anything about its assumptions
in that respect; AFAIK, the current setup (cf. "dist-archive")
is just a workaround).

Gilles