commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [CSV] Records as Lists
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:28:03 GMT
Hi.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 07:22:00 +0000 (UTC), Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
> From what I understood from the previous messages & discussion on
> GitHub, it would be more convenient for users to be able to have a
> List instead of an Iterable,

Why "instead"?
The patch makes the class a subclass of "List"; and "List"
implements "Iterable".

> or instead of having to call the
> #toList() or convert to a List in some other way.
> I commented in the pull request, that I don't think there would be a
> performance penalty in doing so (at least I don't think so, as the
> values are not streamed, but rather kept in the private values
> array).
> However, I think we are delivering an Iterable that's fully capable
> to be used as an Iterable now. Whereas the proposal would make it a
> read-only list, as that returned from unmodifiableList,

That's not what the patch does:
   https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/AbstractList.html

> i.e. throwing
> exceptions for add/clear/etc operations.

The original code (using "Arrays.asList") could not do those
operations:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/Arrays.html#asList(T...)

> In my opinion, I prefer to keep it as an Iterable, leave the toList
> method, as I think current users could be affected

How?
[In the original code, "toList" is private.]

> by accidentally
> trying to reuse CSVRecord while reading from one input and writing to
> an output stream.

I don't understand this.

Regards,
Gilles