commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2019 Mentor Registration
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:10:40 GMT
Hello.

Le mar. 12 mars 2019 à 01:24, Eric Barnhill <ericbarnhill@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 4:56 PM Gilles Sadowski <gilleseran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Eric.
> >
> > Le ven. 8 mars 2019 à 22:22, Eric Barnhill <ericbarnhill@gmail.com> a
> > écrit :
> > >
> > > I am definitely willing to mentor development of the stats libraries as I
> > > was last year. Now that I work more in data science I am happy to also
> > > mentor the ML library
> >
> > What are you referring to?
> >

> Commons-math had a machine learning library.

Ah, OK (just wanted to be sure)!

> Now that I look it over it is
> really a bit emaciated.

Even so, it's quite useful, at least to me: I rely on the SOFM implementation
("neuralnet" package).
Some time ago, we had a contributor who had plans to improve the "clustering"
codes (especially performance-wise).  Unfortunately, he moved on to other
subjects/languages.

> Still, I think there is an opportunity here to get
> some components up to date that could be pretty widely used, rethinking the
> structure and grammar of the library to echo Python's highly successful
> scikit-learn and Keras libraries.

When the contributor referred to above was around, there was the goal to
make the "ml" package a standalone component.  But when he left, I did
not push it further, as I would have been the sole maintainer and could only
provide support for the code which I know (i.e. "neuralnet" package).

Can you be more specific on what you propose?

> There are a lot of young people who are interested in getting into data
> science, we might get a good candidate or two looking to distinguish
> themselves.

That would be great.
However, we need to set realistic goals.

> Also Java is such an important language in data science and
> engineering, even if a lot of the ML model building to date is in R and
> Python, so it is a great language for someone entering ML to know.
>

> > You have to register as a mentor. :-)
> >

> Sent.
>

> > Then, read and follow the guidelines:
> >   http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
> >
> > What should be done ASAP is tag existing, or new issues,
> > with the appropriate label so that tasks will appear here:
> >     http://s.apache.org/gsoc2019ideas
>

> Will do tomorrow, hopefully is not too late.

I've already tagged a few existing issues[1]; but new ideas should be
posted now...

Thanks,
Gilles

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STATISTICS-5?filter=12345517&jql=project%20in%20%28GEOMETRY%2C%20STATISTICS%2C%20NUMBERS%2C%20RNG%29%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2019