commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Rng] New XoShiRo generators
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 11:14:36 GMT
Hi Alex.

Le mer. 20 mars 2019 à 01:32, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herbert@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > On 19 Mar 2019, at 15:24, Gilles Sadowski <gilleseran@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am currently rerunning the dieharder test for the XorShift1024Star
> >> composites since that requires a little endian format on my machine. So
> >> far there are not as many failures when the byte order is reversed.
> >>
> >> Once that is done I think we can wrap this up by:
> >>
> >> - updating the stress test to support little/big endian format as input
> >> for the test suite
> >>
> >> - updating the stress test GeneratorsList to match the RandomSource enum
> >> order
> >>
> >> - merging the modified XorShift1024StarPhi generator
> >>
> >> - deprecating the XOR_SHIFT_1024_S enum in favour of XOR_SHIFT_1024_S_PHI
>
> I have updated the PR for the XorShift1024 variant to deprecate the old XOR_SHIFT_1024_S
enum.

> Please take a look to see if the wording is OK:
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/pull/30/files#diff-630495e26d73fa22ada841dabde0ab47
<https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/pull/30/files#diff-630495e26d73fa22ada841dabde0ab47>

How about:

/**
 * @deprecated Since 1.3, where it is recommended to use {@code
XOR_SHIFT_1024_S_PHI},
 * instead, due to its slightly better (more uniform) output.
 * {@code XOR_SHIFT_1024_S} is still quite usable but both versions
share the exact same
 * internal state, so that their outputs are correlated (and thus
should not be used together when
 * independent sequences are assumed).
 */

?

> I have not deprecated the XorShift1024Star generator. That still works and is the base
for the new one. Just deprecating the enum value serves as a warning for users to update,
or use that generator with wisely.

+1
That's what the above text tries to convey.

Gilles