commons-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Barnhill <ericbarnh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2019 Mentor Registration
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2019 21:22:02 GMT
I am definitely willing to mentor development of the stats libraries as I
was last year. Now that I work more in data science I am happy to also
mentor the ML library -- in today's world this is NOT too distant a subject
for commons to cover and I am using those models every day, also it
integrates tightliy with stats.

However Gilles and I recruited someone to work on stats last year and due
to some sort of communications disaster, they were rejected despite our
approvals on this list, they couldn't get credit for working on the
project, and an enormous amount of everyone's time was wasted.

Have safeguards been put in place to make sure it won't happen again this
time? What should we have done differently?

And if we can go forward, I would like to contact that kid and give him
first crack at the stats library -- he went to all the trouble to make a
nice proposal for it and everything last year...

Eric