commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Rng] New XoShiRo generators
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 00:32:05 GMT

> On 19 Mar 2019, at 15:24, Gilles Sadowski <gilleseran@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am currently rerunning the dieharder test for the XorShift1024Star
>> composites since that requires a little endian format on my machine. So
>> far there are not as many failures when the byte order is reversed.
>>
>> Once that is done I think we can wrap this up by:
>>
>> - updating the stress test to support little/big endian format as input
>> for the test suite
>>
>> - updating the stress test GeneratorsList to match the RandomSource enum
>> order
>>
>> - merging the modified XorShift1024StarPhi generator
>>
>> - deprecating the XOR_SHIFT_1024_S enum in favour of XOR_SHIFT_1024_S_PHI

I have updated the PR for the XorShift1024 variant to deprecate the old XOR_SHIFT_1024_S enum.

Please take a look to see if the wording is OK:

https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/pull/30/files#diff-630495e26d73fa22ada841dabde0ab47
<https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/pull/30/files#diff-630495e26d73fa22ada841dabde0ab47>

I have not deprecated the XorShift1024Star generator. That still works and is the base for
the new one. Just deprecating the enum value serves as a warning for users to update, or use
that generator with wisely.

Alex