commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [rng][geometry][statistics][numbers] Updating Checkstyle rules
Date Tue, 21 May 2019 15:16:01 GMT
On 21/05/2019 12:47, Alex Herbert wrote:
> [...]
> there are many more checks that can be added to maintain the current
> coding style.
>
> I've looked at this for RNG starting from a template for the Sun
> standards [1].
>
> The code is maintained to high standard and the sun standards need
> little modification. Here are the changes:
>
> - Removed FinalParameters
>
> - Removed MagicNumber
>
> - Removed InnerAssignment
>
> - Change line length to 120
>
> - Changed ParameterNumber to only check methods (not constructors)
>
> - Changed NoWhitespaceAfter to remove checks for array initialisers
> allowing the whitespace after the { here:
>
> double[] array = new double[] { 1, 2, 3 };
>
> (arguably this could be left at the default Sun coding style to have
> 'new double[] {1, 2, 3}'.)
>
> - Changed WhitespaceAround to allow empty constructors (for private
> utility constructors) and empty types (for marker interfaces)
>
> - Changed VisibilityModifier to allow protected fields
>
> - Changed OperatorWrap to the current checkstyle config
>

> When run over RNG this requires the following changes:
>
> Some method javadoc required a missing end period.
>
> Line length: Some wrapping to 120 characters is required.
>
> Whitespace after: Some updates to change declarations of generics, e.g.
>
> Map<Integer,String> to Map<Integer, String>
>
> 3 utility classes should be final. These may be a breaking API
> changes. The classes have private constructor so should not be
> inherited from by any user. Only one is public the other two are
> package private.
>
> 1 TODO comment is as yet undone.
>
> Indentation: This picked up a few formatting errors.
>

> All the changes are in a new PR [2] so you can view the new additions
> to the checkstyle file and the changes to the code that must be made.
>
> I have just appended the additions to the current checkstyle config.
> However going forward it may be better to match the order of the
> reference checkstyle template provided by checkstyle and then add to
> that for commons specific requirements.
>

> Statistics changes:
>
> I tried this on statistics. There are 415 errors, 50 errors if the
> test sources are excluded. Most of these in the source are genuine
> formatting issues. The only rule that is broken is
> LocalFinalVariableName which requires variables to be named
> '^[a-z][a-zA-Z0-9]*$'.
>
> I do not agree with naming conventions when the code is implementing
> an equation so I would either remove this rule or add checkstyle
> exceptions file for the two methods where the rule is broken.
>
> See the modifications for statistics in this PR [3]. I've not fixed
> all the tests. They are mainly failures due to indentation or
> whitespace, e.g:
>
> observedCounts[s-1]++;
> vs
> observedCounts[s - 1]++;
>

> Fixing them would be easy but I am out of time for today.

I've looked at [numbers] with the current config. It uses no indentation
for case statements. This is recommended by Oracle. So I've updated the
[rng] and [statistics] PRs to reflect this.

I've not got time to fix numbers but the new checkstyle file finds a lot
of legitimate problems with the current formatting.

Old checks:

[INFO] There are 6 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-core/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 15 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-gamma/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 4 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-combinatorics/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 3 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-arrays/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.

New checks:

[INFO] There are 25 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-core/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 62 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-complex/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 19 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-complex-streams/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 47 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-primes/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 5 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-quaternion/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 89 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-fraction/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 3 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-angle/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 17 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-gamma/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 18 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-combinatorics/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 4 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-arrays/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 2 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-numbers/commons-numbers-field/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.

A lot of these are indentation problems, some naming conventions and
whitespace around operators. I think they are mostly legitimate errors
and the new checks enforce the coding style.

[geometry] Only run on the sources (see later).

Old checks:

First run with the current version (before changing anything):

[INFO] There are 2 errors reported by Checkstyle 6.18 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-core/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.

With the new checkstyle 8.20 version it finds a lot more so a good
reason to upgrade just checkstyle:

[INFO] There are 11 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-core/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 3 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-euclidean/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 2 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-spherical/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.

New checks:

[INFO] There are 49 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-core/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 175 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-euclidean/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 3 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-enclosing/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 9 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-spherical/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 3 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-hull/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.

Looking at the worst offenders it is a variety of javadoc, redundant
modifier, indentation and whitespace around operators. Some of the
checks are legitimate, other are a coding style choice.

When run on [geometry] including test sources the errors are very high.

[INFO] There are 83 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-core/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 1047 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-euclidean/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 44 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-enclosing/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 97 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-spherical/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.
[INFO] There are 333 errors reported by Checkstyle 8.20 with
/home/ah403/git/commons-geometry/commons-geometry-hull/../src/main/resources/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

ruleset.

So [geometry] would need a fair bit of work to get it to pass this
stricter set of checks for the tests. The main source and the tests have
been written with a different style around certain formatting
constructs. So the checks would have to be updated or dropped to suit
the code style. An upgrade of Checkstyle is still useful as the new
version finds more errors with the existing checks.

I think [numbers] should not take long to fix all the errors.

- [rng] can use a stricter set of checks with little changes

- [statistics] can use a stricter set of checks with little changes

- [numbers] should consider updating checkstyle and look at enforcing
code style with stricter checks

- [geometry] should consider updating checkstyle and look at enforcing
code style with stricter checks

Adding just indentation, javadoc and left/right braces checks will
benefit all projects as these find many legitimate errors in the style.

Alex