commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Nguyen <bennguye...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [GSoC][Commons][STATISTICS][Regression][Matrix] Separate modulefor StatisticsMatrix (simple extension of EJML's SimpleBase) in commonsstatistics?
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2019 03:16:03 GMT
Hi,
The CM regression module uses LU & QR decomposition and basic matrix operations like multiply,
add/subtract, transpose, inverse, as well as functionalities like getting a submatrix, getting
dimensions etc…. All of which EJML provides as far as I’ve looked. But I also expect there
to be perhaps large differences in the port due to Streams….

Cheers,
-Ben

From: Gilles Sadowski
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 8:18 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [GSoC][Commons][STATISTICS][Regression][Matrix] Separate modulefor StatisticsMatrix
(simple extension of EJML's SimpleBase) in commonsstatistics?

Hi.

Le ven. 21 juin 2019 à 14:38, Ben Nguyen <bennguyenib@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Mr. Gilles Sadowski suggested to me on Slack that StatisticsMatrix and future extensions
of EJML’s code should go into it’s own component.

Not exactly; I suggested that
1. there be an interface defined in [Statistics] for matrix that would
shield its API
from a future change of its implementation. [Now it can be a subclass of EJML,
but what if we want to change later?  Do we want to support an external API
even when it's not used to perform the computations?]
2. utilities (like the matrix interface) that can be used by several modules
of [Statistics] are best defined in a separate (maven) module.

> So based on my understanding; should there be a general matrix module to use inside of
commons statistics which uses the EJML?

Which matrix functionalities are needed for the "regression" module?

> Does anyone think another statistics component (besides regression) will need matrices
and it’s operations?

You could get the answer by looking at the [Math] codes.

Regards,
Gilles