commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODEC] CRLF files in macOS checkout
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2019 09:40:24 GMT

On 18/06/2019 09:55, sebb wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 08:15, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 17.06.2019 23:26, sebb wrote:
>>> Most of the files in my clone of codec have LF endings, however a few are CRLF:
>>>
>>> ./README.md
>>> ./src/assembly/bin.xml
>>> ./src/assembly/src.xml
>>> ./src/changes/changes.xml
>>> ./src/main/java/org/apache/commons/codec/cli/Digest.java
>>> ./src/main/java/org/apache/commons/codec/language/DaitchMokotoffSoundex.java
>>> ./src/main/resources/org/apache/commons/codec/language/bm/lang.txt
>>> ./src/test/java/org/apache/commons/codec/digest/HmacAlgorithmsTest.java
>>> ./src/test/java/org/apache/commons/codec/digest/MessageDigestAlgorithmsTest.java
>>> ./src/test/java/org/apache/commons/codec/digest/PureJavaCrc32Test.java
>>> ./src/test/java/org/apache/commons/codec/language/ColognePhoneticTest.java
>>>

>>> This causes spurious differences when the files are updated.
>>>
>>> Can these files be easily fixed without causing huge diffs to be generated?
>>>
>>> Also, is there any way to prevent such files being committed to the repo?
>>>
>>> S.
>> If svn:eol-style is set to "native", it shouldn't matter. I think this
>> can be defaulted for newly added files.
> Thanks, but this is Git, not SVN.
>
>> In Jackrabbit, I regularly run a script to spot new files missing the
>> property.
> Are you willing to share the script?

This was recently a problem in [statistics]. It was fixed using a
.gitattributes file [1] containing:

* text=auto

You can fix all the existing files following the steps detailed on the
git documentation:

$ echo "* text=auto" >.gitattributes

$ git add --renormalize .

$ git status        # Show files that will be normalized

$ git commit -m "Introduce end-of-line normalization"

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/gitattributes