commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [rng] Releasing 1.3
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2019 23:49:23 GMT
Le mar. 30 juil. 2019 à 22:07, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herbert@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > On 30 Jul 2019, at 19:28, Gilles Sadowski <gilleseran@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > Le mar. 30 juil. 2019 à 15:38, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herbert@gmail.com <mailto:alex.d.herbert@gmail.com>>
a écrit :

> >> - RNG-110: The PR for SharedSharedDiscrete/ContinuousSampler should have
> >> a review [1]. I've left this while we finished GSoC phase 2 but it is ready.
> >>
> >> I added factory methods for all samplers. For existing samplers this is
> >> just for consistency. Some however use internal delegates and the
> >> factory method can return the delegate directly which is an advantage.
> >>
> >> One issue to look at is how I handled GaussianSampler and
> >> LogNormalSampler. The samplers can only be shared state samplers if the
> >> input NormalizedGaussianSampler is a shared state sampler. I handled
> >> this with documentation. But this means a downstream user may be passed
> >> a SharedStateContinuousSampler, use it as such and receive an exception
> >> if it was created incorrectly.
> >
> > Could the library create it "incorrectly”?
>
> No. All the NormalizedGaussianSamplers in the library are suitable to pass to the GaussianSampler
and LogNormalSampler.

> >> The alternative is two factory methods which must have different names
> >> due to type erasure:
> >>
> >> public static ContinuousSampler of(NormalizedGaussianSampler gaussian,
> >> double scale, double shape);
> >>
> >> public static
> >>     <T extends NormalizedGaussianSampler &
> >> SharedStateSampler<ContinuousSampler>>
> >>     SharedStateContinuousSampler
> >>     ofSharedState(T normalized,
> >>                   double mean,
> >>                   double standardDeviation) {
> >
> > Not nice, at first sight.
> >
> >> So the options are:
> >>
> >> - As current but has the pitfall of throwing exceptions if you do create
> >> a one with something that does not share state (i.e. not a sampler in
> >> the library).
> >
> > IIUC, it answers my question above.
> > I would not consider too much that the interfaces defined in our "client API"
> > module could be implemented by external codes.
> > Even within "Commons", we do not use other components' API…
>
> OK. User beware documentation. If using only our library it will not be an issue.
>
> So I take it that you are fine with the PR?

Yes.
I didn't look at all the details but is that check
---CUT---
        if (!(source.normalized instanceof SharedStateSampler<?>)) {
            throw new UnsupportedOperationException("The underlying
sampler is not a SharedStateSampler");
        }
---CUT---
necessary?

> Just rereading it now and I’m not totally sold on the factory constructors using .of(…).
Here’s Joshua Bloch on the matter [1]:

> —
> Here are some common names for static factory methods:
>
>         • valueOf—Returns an instance that has, loosely speaking, the same value
as its parameters. Such static factories are effectively type-conversion methods.

>         • of—A concise alternative to valueOf, popularized by EnumSet (Item 32).
>
>         • getInstance—Returns an instance that is described by the parameters but
cannot be said to have the same value. In the case of a singleton, getInstance takes no parameters
and returns the sole instance.

>         • newInstance—Like getInstance, except that newInstance guarantees that each
instance returned is distinct from all others.

>         • getType—Like getInstance, but used when the factory method is in a different
class. Type indicates the type of object returned by the factory method.

>         • newType—Like newInstance, but used when the factory method is in a different
class. Type indicates the type of object returned by the factory method.
> —
>
> The ’newType’ may be appropriate as the factory method is returning an instance of
an interface not defined in the class. This is required for some implementations such as the
PoissonSampler which returns either a SmallMean or LargeMeanPoissonSampler. So the Bloch naming
could be ’newSampler’. But then we have over verbose code using ‘Sampler' twice:

> new PoissonSampler(rng, mean)
>
> PoissonSampler.of(rng, mean)
>
> PoissonSampler.newSampler(rng, mean)
>
> IMO the later is too verbose. If we state that the sampler is entirely defined by the
input arguments to ‘of’ then it does satisfy "has, loosely speaking, the same value as
its parameters”.

> So ‘of’ is OK. The only other words I like are ‘from’ or ‘with’:
>
> PoissonSampler.of(rng, mean)
> PoissonSampler.from(rng, mean)
> PoissonSampler.with(rng, mean)

"with" seems the most appropriate but has the disadvantage of not
being in Bloch's list.
I would then stick with "of" because "from" looks like the arguments
will be transformed
(and it also is not in the list...).

Gilles