commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graph status?
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2019 23:04:35 GMT

On 9/7/19 2:30 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Hi all
>
> What is the status of graph at commons - or apache if we have something
> elsewhere?
>
> I found in sandbox that doc
> https://commons.apache.org/sandbox/commons-graph/apidocs/org/apache/commons/graph/DirectedGraph.html,
> but wonder if we have something live and if not why it failed.

It just never made it out of the sandbox.  It is a very old sandbox
component.  I think we talked at one time about bringing it into [math]
but never got consensus to do that, IIRC partly for the reason that it
made sense for it to stay as a simple stand alone.

> My rational is I started to write some DAG modelization and tooling
> (backward browsing in my case) but I see it could be generic so wonder if
> it is worse thinking about commons or incubator of if scope is too small
> for that and keeping it specific is saner.

Makes sense to me.  Coincidentally, I may be needing something like this
to represent and manage paths through DAGs so if you do decide to pick
it up, I might contribute.  You can just start committing in the sandbox
and there is no need to worry about any compatibility issues as it has
never been released.

Phil