commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Git status update
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2019 09:01:39 GMT
[This was sent to private@commons, but does not seem to have been
forwarded to the dev@ list.]

Please note the penultimate paragraph about tagging successful
releases under rel/

AFAICT, we have not been doing that, so our release tags are not
automatically protected against deletion.

We should probably start doing this going forward.

Note that the rel/ tags cannot be deleted, so this needs to be done
very carefully.

I think the only change we need to make to the release process is to
add a new step at the end to create the rel/tag from the commit SHA.

We should be very careful about changing anything in the POM, lest it
causes the rel/tag to be created before the RC has been approved.

Thoughts?

S.
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David Nalley <ke4qqq@apache.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 at 18:00
Subject: Git status update
To: infrastructure@apache.org <infrastructure@apache.org>

Greeting PMCs:
(bcc to pmcs@apache.org)

Following direction from the Board, Infrastructure has modified git to
permit force pushes, and branch/tag deletion.

In accordance with the guidance that the Board we've implemented a few
changes you should be aware of:

First, If a forced commit is pushed, the subsequent commit email will
contain '[Forced Update!]' in the subject line. The hope here is that
it draws extra attention to the situation for a project community to
be aware, and take appropriate action if needed.

Second, we've changed the 'protected' portions of git to primarily
focus on refs/tags/rel - thus any tags under rel, will have their
entire commit history. This provides the provenance that the ASF needs
for releases, while still giving projects the ability to mold their
repository in the way they see fit.

Thus when a release vote is successful - part of the release process
should become tagging the voted upon commit SHA under rel/ to make it
indelible. ('# git tag rel/v15.4.2 ' or something similar.)

If you have questions, please feel free to email infrastructure@apache.org

--David
on behalf of Apache Infrastructure