commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Roberts" <mar...@cs.washington.edu>
Subject RE: strange change to src/main/java/org/apache/bcel/generic/FieldGenOrMethodGen.java
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2019 00:55:07 GMT
So I'm forced to add pass through methods to MethodGen?  That seems a waste of effort and still
requires testing.  I repeat - you can already manipulate Attrbiutes - you should be able to
manipulate Annotations in exactly the same fashion.  It is a missing capability that is needed
- at least by me and as we move forward into Java 9 and beyond I'm sure others are going to
run the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:55 PM
To: Commons Developers List <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: Re: strange change to src/main/java/org/apache/bcel/generic/FieldGenOrMethodGen.java

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 23:16, Mark Roberts <markro@cs.washington.edu> wrote:

> When the BCEL package was renamed back to org.apache.bcel  in:
>
> commit d522432b79044740831a132d8b92e7dab5477444
> Author: Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org>
> Date:   Tue Jun 7 17:28:43 2016 +0000
>
> The methods to add and delete annotations were changed from public to protected with
a confusing comment:
> <     public void addAnnotationEntry(AnnotationEntryGen ag)
> ---
> >     protected void addAnnotationEntry(final AnnotationEntryGen ag) // TODO could
this be package protected?

The comment makes sense to me.

The method was changed from public to protected, reducing the visibility.
The TODO asks if it could be made package protected, i.e. further reducing the visibility.

> I think this might have been a cut and paste error as the same comment was added to other
methods, but they were left public (so the comment makes sense).

It seems to me that the other methods were also probably intended to be reduced in visibility
to protected, but this was not done.

> In any case, the current situation is you can add and delete Attributes but not Annotations.
 And, surprise, that is exactly what I need to do.

> Any reason not to change these back to public?

Increasing visibility increases the difficulty of testing and increases the likelihood of
subtle bugs.