commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com>
Subject [rng] BigCrush results
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2019 13:43:49 GMT
I have found a bug in the stress test application that affects all the
BigCrush results.

This was found when updating the stress test application to support
64-bit testing within PractRand, and testing of upper and lower 32-bits
from 64-bit out. An initial attempt to show that the lower 32-bits, bit
reversed, of the XOR_SHIFT_1024_S systematically fail Linear Complexity
tests did not work.

The bug was a dual reversal of the platform byte-order. Code was added
to reverse the byte order in the link c application that read from stdin
and passes numbers to BigCrush. Later code was added to reverse the byte
order in the Java application so allowing Dieharder to work. The
original c application should have been updated but was not (despite the
fact I thought I had done this). So the byte order was not correct after
a dual reversal and the BigCrush results refer to a byte reversed output
sequence.

I fixed the code and have verified that the stress test application can
identify Linear Complexity failures in XOR_SHIFT_1024_S.

I am rerunning BigCrush for the other generators.

Testing of generators with PractRand is still under trial and will
probably not make it for the 1.3 release. The only outstanding item for
1.3 is continued work on updating the user guide.

Alex