commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Patrick <nhoj.patr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [exec] Update from Java 5 to 6
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2019 07:53:13 GMT
what about people wanting to use it on java 12 or java 13.

if java 1.5 and not wanting to upgrade is the argument, why would they be upgrading the software...

if a company is choosing to use and run an out of support jvm’s then it is a risk they are
choosing to accept, either implicity or explicitly.

maven and modules are two different things, in a few releases time the classpath disappears
and so any framework/jar that has not upgraded won’t execute on the modern and current jvm.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10 Oct 2019, at 08:40, Luis Panadero Guardeño <luis.panadero@digibis.com> wrote:
>
> The problem sometimes not are the developers and their desire of upgrading. The problem
are the clients that don't desire to upgrade the JVM that have installed in their servers.
> I had a case where a client was running a Sun Java 5 JVM with a bug on String class that
sometimes calculated bad string lengths and was making to our product to fail. The solution
was to updated to a more modern JVM, but they don't like to do it.

Java