commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [beanutils] Towards 2.0?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2019 17:45:20 GMT
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:33 AM Melloware <mellowaredev@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 as in I think the library is ready to go "as is" for 2.0 release.
> It's a feature rich stable library.
>
> It has always had the Commons Collections stuff in there but if you feel
> the need to rip it out then rip it out.  If not then I would just
> release the 2.0 version of the library.

This is not about ripping out anything. The only reason we are going with a
major release change is because we updated from Commons Collection from 3
to 4, and since some BU APIs "leak" Commons Collections types, it breaks
compatibility.

The question is: Do we really want Commons Collection types to be in BU
signatures, or would Java Collections be sufficient?

For example:

org.apache.commons.beanutils2.BeanPredicate
implements org.apache.commons.collections4.Predicate<T>.

It seems like org.apache.commons.collections4.Predicate<T> can/should be
replaced by java.util.function.Function<T, R>

The internals of BU can still use Commons Collections.

Thoughts?

Gary