commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [beanutils] Towards 2.0?
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2019 12:55:05 GMT
On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:53 AM Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 17/10/2019 à 19:45, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>
> > It seems like org.apache.commons.collections4.Predicate<T> can/should be
> > replaced by java.util.function.Function<T, R>
>
> Did we consider modifying collections4 such that Predicate extends
> Function? That would ease the transition to the Java 8 types.

Happy Monday to all,

Since the next version is 2.0, we can break backward compatibility and use
java.util.function directly. See git master where there is only one
remaining dependency on Commons Collections.

See also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-527 for a few more
migratory details.

I am thinking we can consider making the remaining dependency a private
static class or, implement the feature differently. I am looking for
opinions here...

The other question is what to do with Collection's Transformer class. There
at the very least we can make it a subtype of Java's own Function. We can
also just deprecate Transformer in favor of Function. It depends on how
much value there is in a functional interface called "Transformer" vs the
more general "Function". I think in the end, Transformer should be
deprecated in favor of Function.

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Gary