ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Eclipse, Maven and JCasGen
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 06:04:55 GMT

I have build automatically on and I am not seeing a problem with JCasGen running unexpectedly.
I am using
Eclipse 4.2.1 32bit
m2e 1.0.100.20110804-1717
Subversive SVN 1.7 SVN Kit Connector (3.0.0.I20120818-1700
Subversive SVN Connectors (3.0.0.I20120818-1700
the UIMA plugin for 2.4.0

This is on Win7

-- James
From: ctakes-dev-return-462-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org [ctakes-dev-return-462-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org]
on behalf of Steven Bethard [steven.bethard@Colorado.EDU]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 4:52 PM
To: ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Eclipse, Maven and JCasGen

Yep, just checked out the trunk and imported it into Eclipse. I don't even need to make a
change - it starts running JCasGen repeatedly before I do anything. Do you have "Build Automatically"
on?

I'm also interested in hearing how many other people have experienced this.

That said, it's totally impossible for me to work on cTAKES as it currently stands, and the
fix I proposed makes it possible again. So without the fix, or something like it, I probably
won't be able to contribute to cTAKES very well.

Steve

On Sep 28, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Tim Miller <timothy.miller@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I'm having trouble recreating the behavior.  You just have the trunk
> checked out and make a change in eclipse and it re-runs jcasgen? Anyone
> else seeing this before we try to fix it?
>

> On 09/28/2012 11:58 AM, Steven Bethard wrote:
>> Have any of you working on the new cTAKES trunk noticed JCasGen constantly running?
I have Eclipse set to "Build Automatically" and I'm constantly seeing tasks running in the
background in my Progress view that look like:

>> Compiling ctakes-type-system/target/generated-sources/...
>> Refreshing ctakes-type-system/target/generated-sources/...
>>
>> These tasks run, complete and then immediately start again, and as a result, my Eclipse
runs very slowly. Are other people experiencing this too?

>> I think the solution is to create a real jcasgen-maven-plugin and a proper m2e connector
that only runs JCasGen when the type system has changed (or on project import, or if target/generated-sources/jcasgen
is missing, etc.).

>> What do you all think? Does this approach sound okay? I have a working plugin and
m2e connector, but I didn't want to just commit the change because if I do, everyone will
have to install the m2e connector in their Eclipse environment. So I figured we should discuss
it first.

>> Steve
>>
>> P.S. For anyone was experiencing the same problem, could you try out the following
fix?

>> (1) Apply the attached patch to cTAKES trunk, which uses the jcasgen-maven-plugin
in the pom.xml files instead of the exec-maven-plugin and build-helper-maven-plugin:
>>     $ svn patch ctakes-jcasgen-maven-plugin.diff
>>
>> (2) Open Eclipse, and refresh your cTAKES checkout. You should see a bunch of errors
in the Problems view that look like "Project configuration is not up-to-date with pom.xml.
Run Maven->Update Project or use Quick Fix."

>> (3) Update the Maven projects as suggested.
>>
>> (4) You should now see some new errors that look like: "Plugin execution not covered
by lifecycle configuration: org.cleartk:jcasgen-maven-plugin:0.9.0:generate (execution: default,
phase: generate-sources)"

>> (5) Install the m2e connector for the jcasgen-maven-plugin. Go to Help -> Install
New Software…, add the update site http://cleartk.googlecode.com/git/jcasgen-m2e-connector/org.cleartk.plugin.jcasgen.m2e.repo/target/repository/
and install the "m2e connector for JCasGen Maven plugin". Eclipse will restart.

>> (6) Update the Maven projects again, as in step (3). The errors should all be gone
now.

>> Some things to try to make sure the fix worked:
>>
>> (1) Check that  JCasGen is no longer be constantly running in the background. Go
to the Progress view and make sure that eventually you see just "No operations to display
at this time."

>> (2) Modify a few non-type-system files and and make sure (in the Progress view again)
that JCasGen does not run.

>> (3) Modify a type system, and make sure that JCasGen *does* run. An easy way to check
this is to change an annotation or feature name and make sure you got some new compile errors.