ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: cTAKES uber jar distribution
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:35:40 GMT
> Do we support all kinds of dev environments? Only a few? Is there a priority
> order, like Eclipse only, Eclipse plus Maven, command line, others. (Current
> doc recommends Eclipse but also documents command line. For anything
> else the programmer is expected to extrapolate.) Do we require a developer
> to have Maven to build cTAKES?

At a bare minimum, I think absolutely need to be able to compile, package, deploy via command
line as this is the only way we can (semi-)automate builds, tests, release management, continuous
integration etc, internally.
+1 On Maven and Eclipse IDE for Developers.  Perhaps any other dev environments supported
only on a best efforts basis?

> Would an uber jar support the 2) and 3)?
I believe so.  Or at least that was what it will be intended to do.

> Do we want to try to support all the user scenarios we come up with or only
> certain ones?
Could you clarify? what types of user scenarios?  Not sure if we'll really be able to support
" ALL user scenarios"...

> With only the UIMA CPE GUI, did we ever really support a non-programmer user?
Not historically.

> Will the new GUI in the sandbox be such support?
Hopefully.  That was the goal/intention.