ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UIMA 3.0.0
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2017 18:16:36 GMT
> On 14.02.2017, at 17:35, David Kincaid <kincaid.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I see there is a new release of UIMA in the works and it's labeled as
> 3.0.0. That jump seems to imply significant changes/updates. Is anyone in
> the ctakes community close enough to the UIMA project to know if there is
> anything beneficial to ctakes in there? Has anyone been bold enough to try
> ctakes with the newest version?

Hi all,

please mind that this is UIMA 3.0.0 *ALPHA*. This is meant for early
access to the new architecture so we (the UIMA project) can get feedback
on things that break, possibly on things that can still be improved (in
incompatible ways) before we move on to BETA and eventually to a general
availability release.

The main thing that is changing with UIMA v3 is the internal management
of the CAS. In v2, UIMA used its own memory management similar to the way
it is implemented in the UIMA C++ version. With UIMA v3, this changes
radically. The CAS and the feature structures in the CAS are now proper
Java objects subject to Java garbage collection. Preliminary testing
indicates that this change can yield some quite significant performance
improvements.

The completely rewritten CAS also means that JCas classes need to be
regenerated to be compatible with v3. This is probably the most significant
breaking change.

There is also a completely new API to retrieve annotations from the CAS.
It was inspired by the uimaFIT (J)CASUtil methods as well as the Java
Streaming API.

It would be great if you find the time to have a look at UIMA v3.
We're happy to hear any feedback you might have and to help you
overcome any rough parts you might hit - just leave a post on the
dev@uima.apache.org mailing list :)

Cheers,

-- Richard