ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Problem using CPE and XMI Writer CAS Consumer [EXTERNAL]
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:43:14 GMT
Hi Manuel,

Thank you for the information.  I have a couple of response lines …

> I need to do it because cTAKES seems to not work with the Portuguese language at all
                - Yes and no … You can create a dictionary of terms in the Portuguese language.
 This would allow ctakes to at least recognize these terms and save them for posterity.  However,
the more advanced processing available for English (negation, uncertainty detection, etc.)
will not be available.  If you can find other nlp projects that work with Portuguese it may
be possible to insert them into a ctakes pipeline.  The instructions for creating a custom
dictionary are here (language selection is not documented but it is on the gui, download the
umls with portugese snomed if you can):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/Dictionary+Creator+GUI

> What I have in mind is to create a pipeline system that first translates the texts from
Portuguese to English
                - Probably a good way to go if you have a decent translation tool.

> From my research, I couldn't find anything relevant in this topic.
                - We definitely could use more documentation.

> Well, since this is the user version, I don't have the runPiperSubmitter.bat available
                - Correct.  It is a tool that was created after the 4.0 release.

> When I try to run the bat files inside the bin of the Dev Version, I have the results
shown in the image attached to this e-mail.
                -  Your attachments were scrubbed so I can’t see them.  However, I have
a guess: did you run a “maven package”, unzip the created installation file and run from
the bin/ directory there?  Or are you running with the bin/ inside your development sandbox?
 The second method won’t work and will give you the “class not found” errors that you
are seeing.  If you want to run using Intellij, turn on the profile “runPiperGui” and
compile.  Maven should launch the gui after compilation.

> Well, first of all, my objective is to share my experiences with cTAKES, in order to
share with the community what I'm going through. This way I can contribute to the community
and probably help others who are going through the same as me.
                -  Excellent.  Would you be willing to write documentation for the ctakes
wiki?  Your emails are clear and extremely well formatted!

  1.  Is this feasible? Am I aiming for something that I simply can't rely in cTAKES only
to do, because I have to translate the texts first?

-          Ctakes won’t translate for you, but if you can find a tool that will then processing
with ctakes should be possible.

  1.  Why don't I have a TypeSystem.xml file to feed CVD first, in the Development Version?
I can only find it in the User Version, under /resources.

-          The typesystem.xml file is in the ctakes-type-system project until you “maven
package” and create an “installation”.  If you just run from your developer environment
you can point to the TypeSystem.xml in ctakes-type-system/src/main/resources/…

  1.  Why do we have options in CVD for other languages, but it clearly only works for the
English language?

-          The cvd is a tool that is part of Apache UIMA.  It is more generic than ctakes
and can read xmi files created by other systems.  I have no idea what the details are concerning
its language support.

  1.  Any other hint you can give me, concerning the big picture of what I'm trying to build
here?

-          Not really, sorry.  The multi-lingual goes outside my area of knowledge.

Sean