db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Duhee Lee" <duhee....@kdtrading.com>
Subject RE: How do I relocate the log directory or make no logs written?
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:33:44 GMT
Dear Kurt,

Thank you for the quick response.
I'd like to either:
1. relocate the log directory whenever the jboss server starts up
without modifying the 'service.properties' file or
2. make the log not generated if possible. Our application does only
'select' and doesn't do transactions.

Could you please let me know if you know the solution?
If the derby code has to be modified to achieve it, let me know if you
know what file has to be modified.

Thanks,
Duhee

-----Original Message-----
From: Duhee Lee [mailto:duhee.lee@kdtrading.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:36 AM
To: 'derby-user@db.apache.org'
Subject: How do I relocate the log directory or make no logs written?

Hi,

Relocating 'derby.log' and temp directory are quite easy since those can
be configured through java system properties.
However, handling 'log' directory is not easy to me.
I'd like to make 'log' directory not updated under database directory.
Meaning that I want to either relocate the log directory to different
place without altering 'service.properties' or make no logs written. My
application only do 'select' and no transactions. So, I called
'setReadOnly(true) on connection but it still update files in log
directory.
Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Duhee

You can specify where the log files should be placed at database
creation time. Use a URL like this when you create the database:

  jdbc:derby:mydb;create=true;logDevice=/path/to/log/directory

If you want to relocate the log directory after you have created the
database, I think you have to modify service.properties.

--
Knut Anders