db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Accessing Derby in a jar file (was "Hi")
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:21:02 GMT
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Raja Kannappan <rkannappan@axiomainc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have derby database in a jar file. I access it using
> jdbc:derby:jar:(C:/SampleDatabases/database.jar)dbname
>
> and it works fine. But when I put my database.jar in a http location
> and try to access it is not working.
>
> I tried something like
> jdbc:derby:jar:(http://intranet/somedir/SampleDatabases/database.jar)dbname
>
> and it does not work. Does anyone have any idea on what is the cause
> of the problem?

Derby supports a full or relative path to that jar file, but it must be
a file system path on the local machine where the JVM is running. The
http syntax you tried is not supported (does anyone happen to know if
this support has ever been requested?).

Helpful references include:

    Accessing databases in a jar/zip:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevdvlp24155.html

    Specifying database path:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevdvlp40350.html

    Connection examples:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/rdevdvlp22102.html

Are you trying to obtain remote access to a database? The network server
provides remote access to a database. Also, you can access remote
databases via a web server.

regards,

  -jean