db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: where is the derby.log stored when using tomcat.
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:47:00 GMT
meenakshi selvi wrote:

> hi
> i am using tomcat -server,derby-database.
> i have saved my database in tomcat-home dir.
> while using tomcat ,the derby.log is not getting created.
> but while accessing the databases via ij tools,i am getting the
> derby.log in my derby-home dir.
> what are the changes i should make while using tomcat, to get create
> derby.log. or where the derby.log get stored while using tomcat.

> http://in.messenger.yahoo.com

Hi Meenakshi -

The derby.log errorlog file is always created and, by default, will be
written to the default working directory of the JVM process that is
running Tomcat and Derby (assuming Tomcat is loading the Derby embedded
driver thus embedding the database engine).  You might find the
following article helpful if you are not familiar with this configuration:
  http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/DerbyTomcat5512JPetStor.html

The configuration used in the article embeds Derby within the Tomcat
server JVM.  The article uses Tomcat 5.5 running as a Windows Service.
In this case the default JVM directory is the same as CATALINA_HOME so
derby.log is written to CATALINA_HOME.  Depending on how Tomcat is
started this will not always be the case and the log will be created
somewhere else.  To insure you always know where to look for the
errorlog you can set the property derby.system.home when Tomcat is
started (either specify it using the -D parameter to the JAVA command or
place it in the catalina.properties file).  This will be the location of
the derby.log file.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem and - if it does not -
please let me know what version of both Tomcat and Derby you are using,
which Derby driver is being loaded,  and how the driver is loaded.  It
would also be helpful to know what command you are using to start Tomcat.

HTH,  Stan