db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Legolas Woodland <legola...@gmail.com>
Subject What is performance differenc(es) between 1 index per column or one index for multiple column?
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:26:20 GMT

Hi
Thank you very much for reading my post.
can you please explain me what is differences between 1 index for one
column and one index for multiple columns ?
in both performance view and technical differences.

example :

create index Index1 on SSiteRequest (BANNERBANNERID, WEBSITESWEBSITEID,
USERSUSERID);
and

create index Index13 on SSiteRequest (USERSUSERID);
create index Index12 on SSiteRequest (WEBSITESWEBSITEID);
create index Index1 on SSiteRequest (BANNERBANNERID);

does this two kind differ from each other ?
which one will have better performance?