db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "George, Kenneth V [NTK]" <Kenneth.V.Geo...@sprint.com>
Subject RE: Problems opening DB on HP Tandem
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:50:08 GMT
Wait...hold on.  I just realized what the issue may be.  I am trying to use the embedded version
of Derby, and only inlcuded the derby.jar and derbyclient.jar in my .war file (this is a web
app).  Is there more than this needed?

________________________________

From: Stanley Bradbury [mailto:Stan.Bradbury@gmail.com]
Sent: Wed 1/4/2006 6:14 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Problems opening DB on HP Tandem

George, Kenneth V [NTK] wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I am very new to Derby, but not new to JDBC.  I am
> attempting to write an application using the latest version of Derby
> and am running into a snag.  I am using JDK 1.3.15 (necessary to run
> on HP Tandem) using Tomcat 4.1.  Everything works fine when developing
> locally on my WinXP box, but when I move the files to the Tandem, I
> get the following error attempting to open the database:
>
> SQL Exception: Failed to start database
> '/usr/tandem/web_applications/ctc/ctc83/fm/db/filemanager', see the
> next exception for details.
> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
>   ..... SNIP ...
> com.tandem.servlet.catalina.connector.iTPWScgiProcessor.run(iTPWScgiProcessor.java:517)
>
> java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
> org/apache/derby/impl/store/access/conglomerate/GenericScanController.fetchNextGroup
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.PropertyConglomerate.readDbProperties(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.PropertyConglomerate.getCachedDbProperties(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.PropertyConglomerate.getCachedProperty(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.PropertyConglomerate.getProperty(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.PC_XenaVersion.upgradeIfNeeded(Unknown
> Source)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.PropertyConglomerate.(Unknown
> Source)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.RAMAccessManager.boot(Unknown
> Source)
> .....  SNIP  ...

> at
> com.tandem.servlet.catalina.connector.iTPWScgiProcessor.process(iTPWScgiProcessor.java:460)
> at
> com.tandem.servlet.catalina.connector.iTPWScgiProcessor.run(iTPWScgiProcessor.java:517)
> I am baffled at why this is occuring since this works fine on my local
> machine.  I have verified that I have both read/write access to this
> directory.  Does this make sense to anyone?

Hi George -

Please check to see if you can access your database using the IJ command
line tool.  I am concerned that the problem is with the JVM and/or
database files.  If you have problems with Tomcat and the application
code out of the picture then we will know the problem is with the
platform or DB installation.  Derby is trying to reading the database
files when the AbstractMethodError is thrown.  Are you sure the database
file permissions and ownership is correct and that you are not running
into some OS limit like Open File Descriptors?

Let me know if IJ allows you to connect without a problem.