db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "BALDWIN, ALAN J [AG-Contractor/1000]" <alan.j.bald...@monsanto.com>
Subject Record cannot be updated or inserted due to lack of space on the page
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:23:05 GMT
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows a resolution for the below problem:

We are getting the "ERROR XSDA3 (Record cannot be updated or inserted due to
lack of space on the page)" when we try to execute an INSERT statement on a
cloudscape table via our Java Application. The table that we are inserting
into has 4128 rows before the insert.

(Stack trace is at the end of this email). After that any database access
from the application causes the following error:

"Could not open XXXXX database: java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ':
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException'."

If we exit out of the application, we are no longer able to connect to the
database. We get the following exception:

java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database 'SeedTrakDB', see the next
exception for details.

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.newSQLException(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.bootDatabase(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.<init>(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver30.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)

        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)

        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:193)

We tried adding the following two properties in the service.properties file
of the database but that did not help:

derby.storage.pageSize=32768

derby.storage.pageReservedSpace=80

Stack Trace:

ERROR XSDA3: Limitation: Record cannot be updated or inserted due to lack of
space on the page. Use the parameters derby.storage.pageSize and/or
derby.storage.pageReservedSpace to work around this limitation.

        at
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.CopyRowsOperation.writeOptionalDataToBu
ffer(Unknown Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.CopyRowsOperation.<init>(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.LoggableActions.actionCopyRows(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BasePage.copyInto(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BasePage.copyAndPurge(Unknown Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.LeafControlRow.splitFor(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BranchControlRow.splitFor(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreeController.start_xact_and_dosp
lit(Unknown Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreeController.doIns(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreeController.insert(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.index.B2IController.insert(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexChanger.insertAndCheckDups(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexChanger.doInsert(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexChanger.insert(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexSetChanger.insert(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.RowChangerImpl.insertRow(Unknown Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.normalInsertCore(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.open(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown
Source)

Regards,

-Alan Baldwin-

prohibited.