db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Failed to start database
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:57:57 GMT
Roozbeh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing a really annoying problem and that is "Failed to start database".
> I'm using maven to create the database and the run some test cases on the
> database one after each other. I first create a connection and create the
> database and then I shutdown the connection in the next step I again try to
> connect to the embedded database but basically I face this problem:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database 'c:/database', see the next
> exception for details.

[trace snipped]

> Does anyone have any Idea?

Look at the next exception. :-)

SQLException supports a chaining model and Derby uses it when multiple
exceptions are involved or more context is needed that just the original
exception. Typically the actual problem is the last exception in the
chain, displaying the entire chain will make debugging issues much
easier. Here's an example of how to walk the chain.

catch (SQLException e) {
   do {
     System.out.println(e.toString());
     e.printStackStrace(System.out);