On 06. april 2014 21:02, George Toma wrote:
Hi Chux,

In my opinion  the example from  app.  referred at commit the transaction OR close the connection ( a connection could be transacted too ), and not to shutdown the db. If the business rule specifies that the db. needs to be shutdown when the app. is shutdown, then so be it.

Normally the db is not shutdown, not even when the app is down.

This is true for a client/server application. For use with embedded Derby, one would normally close down the database (and the database engine) before exiting the application. If one neglects to do so,
one would see longer start-up times as Dyre indicated.

Thanks,
Dag

Cheers,
George