db-derby-user mailing list archives

From kosurusekhar <kosurusek...@gmail.com>
Subject Blob column behaviour, when we dont have data & when having less data
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:11:02 GMT
Hi Folks,

We have requirement to store the files in DB, we created a Blob column. As
per derby manuals we need to specify the size of the content while creating
the column. We have 4 different sizes of files like 200KB, 512KB, 1MB, 6MB &
some times we don't have any content into this column. If I go with max size
6MB,

1) whether derby will occupy 6MB space for this row even i am not inserting
data in to this column?

2) whether derby will occupy complete 6MB space if I am trying to insert
small size files like 512KB or 1MB?

Please let me know how derby database behaves in this case. I am using Derby
(Network server) 10.9 version.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Sekhar.