db-derby-user mailing list archives

From BalNagendra <balnagen...@gmail.com>
Subject Tree view in Derby Stored Procedure
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:20:00 GMT
Dear All,

I am attempting to write s Stored Procedure in Derby similar to Oracle
CONNECT BY/START WITH. CONNECT BY/START WITH builds a hierarchical data set
from a EMP and MGR self-referencing. I am able to successfully implement
this using Java but it sits outside Derby. A Derby Stored Procedure would
sit within Derby database and would extend its features.

The problem which I am facing is the java.sql.Statement.executeQuery returns
a RESULTSET. RESULTSET is a cursor. I want to use the result of query as
search for next query. It is a recursive query. RESULTSET being a cursor is
not allowing to store multiple results. In other words when I am passing
current RESULTSET as parameter to another query, the original RESULTSET is
initialized and it is lost. So, recursive query does not work.

Is there any way to return the executeQuery other than RESULTSET. I would
not mind a JSON because it stores simple rows and columns and it does not
have any associated methods of RESULTSET like NEXT etc.
But even XML would do.

Or any alternatives to accessing database? I want only to SELECT the
database. No other DML features like INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE would be used.

thanks and regards

Bala Nagendra