db-derby-user mailing list archives

From George Sexton <geor...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject Re: connecting artist to album to track tables together correctly
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 16:13:40 GMT
You should take a look at "The Puppy Poster":

http://www.informationqualitysolutions.com/FreeStuff/rettigNormalizationPoster.pdf

It really covers database normalization well. It used to be given away
as a freebie when you subscribed to a magazine. You should take a few
hours and really go over it well.

Here are some things you need to think about

Artists and Albums often don't have a one-to-one relationship. The album
may be by Lady Gaga, but it's got a duet with Tony Bennet. Similarly, a
song may have multiple credited artists.

Second, depending upon how detailed you want to get, an artist may have
multiple roles on a song. The two biggies would be Vocalist and Lyricist
(or writer).

One of the things that makes me insane about iTunes is that the album
artist will be all of the credited artists. That can make things hard to
find.