db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Vogel <timo...@vogelware.com>
Subject RE: Shutdown Derby database using JPA not DriverManager
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2017 16:00:27 GMT
Christian,
  Thanks this lead me to the solution.

  The issue was not classloader but an import issue. An RCP application has a "target platform"
that is dynamically searched. When I explicitly added the apache bundles to the bundle, the
Class.forName found the class and the database is shutting down properly.

  Lesson learned: check the simple stuff before assuming it is hard!

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Schneider [mailto:cschneider111@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Christian Schneider
Sent: Monday, January 2, 2017 09:39
To: Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Shutdown Derby database using JPA not DriverManager

You can try to set the thread context classloader to the classloader of your bundle and make
sure your bundle imports the derby classes.

Christian

On 02.01.2017 15:33, Timothy Vogel wrote:
> Christian,
>    Good to hear from you again.  Hope all is well!
>
>    The "OSGI application" is an Eclipse RCP client, not a server side implementation.
 I'm using RESOUCE_LOCAL as recommended with an SE application.  Derby is used in embedded
mode within the same JVM as the client.

>    I am hoping there is either an undocumented capability within Derby or a way to get
the DriverManager class from JPA provider (EclipseLink).  Failing those options, I will have
to stop / restart the client multiple times.

> Tim

in OSGi. Instead use Aries JPA or Aries transaction control.
> Both can provide you with a fully configured EntityManagerFactory and EntityManager that
copes well with the dynamics of OSGi.

> Christian
>
> On 02.01.2017 12:52, Timothy Vogel wrote:
>> I have an OSGI application that uses Derby for persistence and Eclipse Link as a
JPA provider.  I leave starting the Derby instance to JPA and persistence.xml.

>>       factory =
>> Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(PERSISTENCE_UNIT_NAME, props);
>>
>> Persistence.xml
>>       <properties>
>> 		<property name="eclipse.weaving" value="false" />
>> 		<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.driver" value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
/>
>> 		<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.url" value="jdbc:derby:pathToDb" />
>> 		<property name="eclipselink.logging.level.sql" value="FINEST" />
>> 		<property name="eclipselink.logging.parameters" value="true" />
>> 	</properties>
>>

>> At one point in the application, I need to stop the underlying Derby database. All
of the examples show calling:
>>       Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver");
>>
>> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:pathToDb;shutdown=true");
>>
>> This is problematic, especially in an OSGI application with multiple class loaders.
I have tried using
>>       if (factory.isOpen())
>> 			factory.close();
>> but this does not shutdown the Derby instance, only the JPA connection to it.
>>
>> I tried using the OSGI console to stop the persistence related bundles including
javax.persistence, JPA and Derby.  Stopping these did not release the file locks that Derby
put on log files.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de