db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Shutdown Derby database using JPA not DriverManager
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2017 14:39:07 GMT
You can try to set the thread context classloader to the classloader of
your bundle and make sure your bundle imports the derby classes.

Christian

On 02.01.2017 15:33, Timothy Vogel wrote:
> Christian,
>    Good to hear from you again.  Hope all is well!
>
>    The "OSGI application" is an Eclipse RCP client, not a server side implementation.
 I'm using RESOUCE_LOCAL as recommended with an SE application.  Derby is used in embedded
mode within the same JVM as the client.

>    I am hoping there is either an undocumented capability within Derby or a way to get
the DriverManager class from JPA provider (EclipseLink).  Failing those options, I will have
to stop / restart the client multiple times.

> Tim

in OSGi. Instead use Aries JPA or Aries transaction control.
> Both can provide you with a fully configured EntityManagerFactory and EntityManager that
copes well with the dynamics of OSGi.

> Christian
>
> On 02.01.2017 12:52, Timothy Vogel wrote:
>> I have an OSGI application that uses Derby for persistence and Eclipse Link as a
JPA provider.  I leave starting the Derby instance to JPA and persistence.xml.

>>       factory =
>> Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(PERSISTENCE_UNIT_NAME, props);
>>
>> Persistence.xml
>>       <properties>
>> 		<property name="eclipse.weaving" value="false" />
>> 		<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.driver" value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
/>
>> 		<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.url" value="jdbc:derby:pathToDb" />
>> 		<property name="eclipselink.logging.level.sql" value="FINEST" />
>> 		<property name="eclipselink.logging.parameters" value="true" />
>> 	</properties>
>>

>> At one point in the application, I need to stop the underlying Derby database. All
of the examples show calling:
>>       Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver");
>>       DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:pathToDb;shutdown=true");
>>
>> This is problematic, especially in an OSGI application with multiple class loaders.
I have tried using
>>       if (factory.isOpen())
>> 			factory.close();
>> but this does not shutdown the Derby instance, only the JPA connection to it.
>>
>> I tried using the OSGI console to stop the persistence related bundles including
javax.persistence, JPA and Derby.  Stopping these did not release the file locks that Derby
put on log files.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de