db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use cases for shutdown=true in embedded Derby
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2017 23:39:34 GMT
On 11/27/17 10:32 PM, Антон Крылов wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering when would one want to shut down an embedded Derby
> database using shutdown=true in recent Derby versions? Liquibase does
> use this, and this very part causes trouble both in Derby
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2068 ) and Liquibase
> (https://liquibase.jira.com/projects/CORE/issues/CORE-3144 )

Shutting down an in-memory database is a prerequisite to deleting it and
reclaiming the memory which it occupies. In addition, gracefully
shutting down a database lets Derby reclaim the pre-allocated but unused
sequence numbers needed for explicitly declared sequences as well as
identity columns. That, in turn, prevents Derby from leaking those
pre-allocated chunks when the database is booted next.

Hope this helps,

-Rick