db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mikael <mikael-arons...@telia.com>
Subject Re: cannot make indexes on long varchar?
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2018 14:05:15 GMT
I would think it's because long columns will not work anway (half page
size).

Indexes are not supported for columns defined on CLOB, BLOB, LONG
VARCHAR, and XML data types.

If the length of the key columns in an index is larger than half the
page size of the index, creating an index on those key columns for the
table fails. For existing indexes, an insert of new rows for which the
key columns are larger than half of the index page size causes the
insert to fail.

Avoid creating indexes on long columns. Create indexes on small columns
that provide a quick look-up to larger, unwieldy data in the row. You
might not see performance improvements if you index long columns. For
information about indexes, see /Tuning Java DB/."