db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oskar Z <oska...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.15.3.1 - Java 8?
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2019 19:37:58 GMT
Hi Rick,

I’m not running 10.15 actually. I’m running 10.14 with only 1 line code change from defect:

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

Thanks,
Oskar

> On Apr 29, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't see derbyshared.jar on the classpath. That new jar is required for all 10.15
configurations.

> On 4/29/19 11:29 AM, Oskar Z wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> I’m running a back ported  fix from 10.15 in 10.14:

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

>> Classptah includes all the jars, derby.jar, derbynet.jar, derbyclient.jar, derbyrun.jar,
derbytools.jar

>> Thanks,
>> Oskar
>>
>>> On Apr 29, 2019, at 2:11 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com <mailto:rick.hillegas@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> That looks odd. I thought that line numbers would be included in 10.15 stack
traces. It's dying while trying to open a connection. What does your classpath look like?

("SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U”)/

Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)

in the engine jar. Have you taken it for a test-drive? That's the real proof.

port the fix to 10.14.2.0 release without any issues?

not sure how complicated it is.

script requires a compiler at level Java 9 or higher. The 10.15 code makes use of features
which are only available from Java 9 onward.

the latest Open JDK version (https://jdk.java.net/11/ <https://jdk.java.net/11/>)  and
then upgrade to Derby 10.15.1.3.

at http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.14.2.0.cgi <http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.14.2.0.cgi>

<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/branches/10.14/BUILDING.html>

you should apply the patch and re-build. The patch is patch1.diff at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6981
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6981>. Excluding the regression test, it's
a 1 line patch. You can use the svn code-management tool to do this or you can do it by hand.
You will be updating the following file:

and no-one has volunteered to manage a new release on those older branches. You are correct
that 10.15.1.3 requires Java 9 or higher. The fix does not look complicated--it's only one
line, excluding the regression test. You could patch your own workspace for your preferred
older branch and build your own jars with little risk.

for Derby which is available in 10.15.3.1

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

only run in Java 9.

8? Is it a hard requirement to run in Java 9?

re-compile with Java 8, but not sure if there would be any issues.