db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oskar Z <oska...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.15.3.1 - Java 8?
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2019 18:29:27 GMT
Hi Rick,

I’m running a back ported  fix from 10.15 in 10.14:

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

Classptah includes all the jars, derby.jar, derbynet.jar, derbyclient.jar, derbyrun.jar, derbytools.jar

Thanks,
Oskar

> On Apr 29, 2019, at 2:11 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That looks odd. I thought that line numbers would be included in 10.15 stack traces.
It's dying while trying to open a connection. What does your classpath look like?

> On 4/29/19 9:05 AM, Oskar Z wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> As follow-up so we started running the ported fix for the NullPointerException….
("SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U”)/

>> And now seeing a similar but different NullPointerException;
>>
>> Caused by:
>> ERROR XJ001: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 0, SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerExceptionXJ001.U
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.am.ClientConnection.completeSqlca(Unknown Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionReply.parseRdbAccessFailed(Unknown
Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionReply.parseAccessRdbError(Unknown
Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionReply.parseACCRDBreply(Unknown Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionReply.readAccessDatabase(Unknown Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.readSecurityCheckAndAccessRdb(Unknown
Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.flowSecurityCheckAndAccessRdb(Unknown
Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.flowUSRIDPWDconnect(Unknown Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.flowConnect(Unknown Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
>>    at org.apache.derby.client.net.ClientJDBCObjectFactoryImpl.newNetConnection(Unknown
Source)
>>    ... 11 more
>>
>> Any ideas here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Oskar
>>

>>> On Apr 11, 2019, at 7:02 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com <mailto:rick.hillegas@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Yes, that's right.

jar. Have you taken it for a test-drive? That's the real proof.

fix to 10.14.2.0 release without any issues?

a compiler at level Java 9 or higher. The 10.15 code makes use of features which are only
available from Java 9 onward.

Open JDK version (https://jdk.java.net/11/ <https://jdk.java.net/11/>)  and then upgrade
to Derby 10.15.1.3.

at http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.14.2.0.cgi <http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.14.2.0.cgi>

<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/branches/10.14/BUILDING.html>

apply the patch and re-build. The patch is patch1.diff at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6981
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6981>. Excluding the regression test, it's
a 1 line patch. You can use the svn code-management tool to do this or you can do it by hand.
You will be updating the following file:

no-one has volunteered to manage a new release on those older branches. You are correct that
10.15.1.3 requires Java 9 or higher. The fix does not look complicated--it's only one line,
excluding the regression test. You could patch your own workspace for your preferred older
branch and build your own jars with little risk.

which is available in 10.15.3.1

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

it a hard requirement to run in Java 9?

with Java 8, but not sure if there would be any issues.