db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oskar Z <oska...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.15.3.1 - Java 8?
Date Wed, 01 May 2019 16:10:12 GMT
Hi Rick,

I have attached derby.log from master and slave to 6981.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Oskar

> On Apr 29, 2019, at 3:53 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Oh, right. That would explain why we don't see line numbers. Without line numbers it's
hard to speculate about what's gone wrong. I don't have any theory about why a one line change
to the engine jar file would raise an NPE on the client-side. Can you attach derby.log to
DERBY-6981? Maybe there are some clues there.

> On 4/29/19 12:37 PM, Oskar Z wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> I’m not running 10.15 actually. I’m running 10.14 with only 1 line code change
from defect:

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

>> Thanks,
>> Oskar
>>

>>> On Apr 29, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com <mailto:rick.hillegas@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> I don't see derbyshared.jar on the classpath. That new jar is required for all
10.15 configurations.

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

stack traces. It's dying while trying to open a connection. What does your classpath look
like?

("SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U”)/

java.lang.NullPointerExceptionXJ001.U
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)
Source)

be in the engine jar. Have you taken it for a test-drive? That's the real proof.

I was able to generate the jars.

port the fix to 10.14.2.0 release without any issues?

Derby, so not sure how complicated it is.

10.15.3.1 in Java 8?
build script requires a compiler at level Java 9 or higher. The 10.15 code makes use of features
which are only available from Java 9 onward.

to the latest Open JDK version (https://jdk.java.net/11/ <https://jdk.java.net/11/>)
 and then upgrade to Derby 10.15.1.3.

your own 10.14 release:

at http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.14.2.0.cgi <http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.14.2.0.cgi>

<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/branches/10.14/BUILDING.html>

source, you should apply the patch and re-build. The patch is patch1.diff at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6981
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6981>. Excluding the regression test, it's
a 1 line patch. You can use the svn code-management tool to do this or you can do it by hand.
You will be updating the following file:

at line 625...

branches and no-one has volunteered to manage a new release on those older branches. You are
correct that 10.15.1.3 requires Java 9 or higher. The fix does not look complicated--it's
only one line, excluding the regression test. You could patch your own workspace for your
preferred older branch and build your own jars with little risk.

Defect for Derby which is available in 10.15.3.1

"SQLSTATE: XJ001, SQLERRMC: java.lang.NullPointerException XJ001.U"

and only run in Java 9.

for Java 8? Is it a hard requirement to run in Java 9?

and re-compile with Java 8, but not sure if there would be any issues.