db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AccessControlException with no security manager
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2019 01:17:21 GMT
Ah, good point.

Yes, I missed that, and yes I was thinking about the network server.

Sorry about that.

bryan

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 8:37 AM Besosa, Michael
<michael.besosa@pearson.com> wrote:

> Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if you missed that this is using the embedded
engine, not the network server. I know that the network server installs a security manager
by default, and that there is a system property that can be set to disable that behavior.
But that's not applicable in our situation.

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 8:52 AM Besosa, Michael <michael.besosa@pearson.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean when you say, "Even if you don't install a Java
security manager...you get a security manager anyway." I don't have (haven't installed) a
security manager and System.getSecurityManager() returns null. And if I "really, really" don't
want a security manager, how can I say so, other than executing System.setSecurityManager(null)?

>> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:03 PM Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.derby@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I feel like you're probably hitting DERBY-6648:
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_DERBY-2D6648&d=DwIFaQ&c=0YLnzTkWOdJlub_y7qAx8Q&r=Wl0HX9k4fXSgP8TsHwfE2EzboRhWUZIw3D92MjZ0k8A&m=jAZ8M-UCTv0Ms-FrB1NaYA62mIGrbUhHirW9AxhEyxw&s=Hutrm_MTSwNDtab2E2bMNCxLo0eDRIZrB1B5x2AL-1k&e=
>>>
>>> Even if you don't install a Java security manager (perhaps especially
>>> if that is so), you get a security manager anyway.
>>>
>>> If you really, really don't want a security manager, you can say so.
>>>
>>> Or, bite the bullet and define a security manager, and start
>>> assembling the precise security policy that is right for your
>>> particular situation, as in:
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stackoverflow.com_a_52392015_193453&d=DwIFaQ&c=0YLnzTkWOdJlub_y7qAx8Q&r=Wl0HX9k4fXSgP8TsHwfE2EzboRhWUZIw3D92MjZ0k8A&m=jAZ8M-UCTv0Ms-FrB1NaYA62mIGrbUhHirW9AxhEyxw&s=uackNzNN36boV8-m6DGN7VJOPwN4tnfuUwgQBgOmv0I&e=
 ,
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__db.apache.org_derby_docs_10.13_security_csecembeddedperms.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=0YLnzTkWOdJlub_y7qAx8Q&r=Wl0HX9k4fXSgP8TsHwfE2EzboRhWUZIw3D92MjZ0k8A&m=jAZ8M-UCTv0Ms-FrB1NaYA62mIGrbUhHirW9AxhEyxw&s=53JhmaGEsK92jA_W0ofwQrvGLuaZ-TLXOiDawh9P3rQ&e=
>>> , etc.
>>>
>>> bryan

and Java 8. When the app executes the SELECT shown below, we see an exception with the message
'access denied org.apache.derby.security.SystemPermission( "engine", "usederbyinternals" ):
java.security.AccessControlException'.

INNER JOIN AppUser ON AssetAppUser.AppUserID = AppUser.ID) INNER JOIN AssetUsage ON AssetAppUser.AssetID
= AssetUsage.AssetID) INNER JOIN Asset ON AssetUsage.AssetID = Asset.ID) INNER JOIN AssetType
ON Asset.AssetTypeID = AssetType.ID) INNER JOIN AssetTypeProperty ON AssetType.ID = AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypeID
AND AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyValue = 'Examiner') INNER JOIN AssetTypePropertyKey
ON AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyKeyID = AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyID
AND AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyName = 'AssetSubClass') WHERE (AssetUsage.OrderItemID
= DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID) FETCH FIRST 1 ROWS ONLY) AS ExaminerName,
= AssetType.ID) INNER JOIN AssetUsage ON Asset.ID = AssetUsage.AssetID) INNER JOIN AssetTypeProperty
ON AssetType.ID = AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypeID AND AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyValue
= 'Vehicle') INNER JOIN AssetTypePropertyKey ON AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyKeyID =
AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyID AND AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyName
= 'AssetSubClass') WHERE (AssetUsage.OrderItemID = DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID) AND (AssetType.AssetClassCode
IN ('Facility','Workstation','CiscoRack','TaskSchedule')) FETCH FIRST 1 ROWS ONLY) AS VehicleName,
ON Accommodation.AccommodationStatusID = AccommodationStatus.AccommodationStatusID AND AccommodationStatus.StatusCode
= 'Granted') WHERE (Accommodation.OrderItemID = DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID)) AS AccommodationCount,
= DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID)) AS ReasonsBlockedCount,
WHERE (DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID = DeliveryEventNext.NextAppointmentID)) AS FirstDayRegistrationID