db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AccessControlException with no security manager
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 01:15:06 GMT
Probably best to open an issue in the Derby JIRA, to help keep the
conversation easy to find and track.

Can you share the complete stack trace of the AccessControlException?

Can you share a run of 'sysinfo' in a configuration where this occurs?

I don't suppose you've been able to whittle this down to a Minimum
Reproducible Case yet, have you?

thanks,

bryan

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 6:22 AM Besosa, Michael
<michael.besosa@pearson.com> wrote:

> We're still interested in ideas about this problem. We are getting occasional AccessControlExceptions
in an environment with no SecurityManager installed. This behavior appears to have started
when we migrated our application to Java 8. It was never seen prior to that. If there is additional
information that would be useful, please let me know.

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 8:17 PM Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.derby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, good point.
>>
>> Yes, I missed that, and yes I was thinking about the network server.
>>
>> Sorry about that.
>>
>> bryan
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 8:37 AM Besosa, Michael
>> <michael.besosa@pearson.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if you missed that this is using the
embedded engine, not the network server. I know that the network server installs a security
manager by default, and that there is a system property that can be set to disable that behavior.
But that's not applicable in our situation.

a Java security manager...you get a security manager anyway." I don't have (haven't installed)
a security manager and System.getSecurityManager() returns null. And if I "really, really"
don't want a security manager, how can I say so, other than executing System.setSecurityManager(null)?

engine and Java 8. When the app executes the SELECT shown below, we see an exception with
the message 'access denied org.apache.derby.security.SystemPermission( "engine", "usederbyinternals"
): java.security.AccessControlException'.

of a loss about how to fix this.

((((((AssetAppUser INNER JOIN AppUser ON AssetAppUser.AppUserID = AppUser.ID) INNER JOIN AssetUsage
ON AssetAppUser.AssetID = AssetUsage.AssetID) INNER JOIN Asset ON AssetUsage.AssetID = Asset.ID)
INNER JOIN AssetType ON Asset.AssetTypeID = AssetType.ID) INNER JOIN AssetTypeProperty ON
AssetType.ID = AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypeID AND AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyValue
= 'Examiner') INNER JOIN AssetTypePropertyKey ON AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyKeyID
= AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyID AND AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyName
= 'AssetSubClass') WHERE (AssetUsage.OrderItemID = DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID) FETCH FIRST
1 ROWS ONLY) AS ExaminerName,
ON Asset.AssetTypeID = AssetType.ID) INNER JOIN AssetUsage ON Asset.ID = AssetUsage.AssetID)
INNER JOIN AssetTypeProperty ON AssetType.ID = AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypeID AND AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyValue
= 'Vehicle') INNER JOIN AssetTypePropertyKey ON AssetTypeProperty.AssetTypePropertyKeyID =
AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyID AND AssetTypePropertyKey.AssetTypePropertyKeyName
= 'AssetSubClass') WHERE (AssetUsage.OrderItemID = DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID) AND (AssetType.AssetClassCode
IN ('Facility','Workstation','CiscoRack','TaskSchedule')) FETCH FIRST 1 ROWS ONLY) AS VehicleName,
ON Accommodation.AccommodationStatusID = AccommodationStatus.AccommodationStatusID AND AccommodationStatus.StatusCode
= 'Granted') WHERE (Accommodation.OrderItemID = DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID)) AS AccommodationCount,
= DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID)) AS ReasonsBlockedCount,
AS DeliveryEventNext WHERE (DeliveryEvent.RegistrationID = DeliveryEventNext.NextAppointmentID))
AS FirstDayRegistrationID