db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kerry <karaf-u...@avionicengineers.com>
Subject Re: Derby driver class name v10.15.1.3
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 17:35:51 GMT
hi Rick,

I'll look into raising a defect - when I tried changing my dependency to the derbytools I
ended up with a different error (which I also think is related to the modularisation of Derby)
but I didn't have time to investigate further because this was paid work so just downgraded
to the java 8 version, but I'll look into this later in the week and make suggestions to suit.

Kerry

On 23/10/2019 02:33, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Thanks for this discussion, Kerry and Jerry. Please file a docs bug and suggest how this
can be described better.

> You are right, it is the modularization of Derby which broke this behavior for you. Before
modularization, the two drivers (embedded and network) lived in the same package but separate
jar files (derby.jar and derbyclient.jar). That had to be untangled in order to achieve jigsaw-ready
partitioning of packages across jars.

> If you rely on driver autoloading and simply connect via DriverManager.getConnection()
using a JDBC URL, then the tools jar is NOT needed. But if you connect via a DataSource, then
you need derbytools.jar, which contains the old drivers.

> You also need derbytools.jar if you boot the drivers the very old-fashioned way via Class.forName().
I believe that the original Spring framework pre-dates the driver autoloading introduced by
Java 6. It seems that you still have to tell Spring the driver class name. Our documentation
should say more about this old usage pattern. Thanks in advance for the doc issue and for
your recommendations.

> -Rick
>
> On 10/22/19 2:48 PM, Kerry wrote:
>> Thanks Jerry,
>>
>> The one artefact I didn't check, but that doesn't seem right somehow now .. seeing
as there is still derbyclient? Should documentation be updated too to reflect that?:

>> https://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/getstart/rgslib46043.html
>>
>> I can see if I can raise a ticket if that;s the case
>>
>> Kerry
>>
>> On 22/10/2019 22:24, Jerry Lampi wrote:
>>> Kerry,
>>> Looks like it moved to derbytools.jar.
>>> lib\derbytools.jar->class=org/apache/derby/jdbc/ClientDriver.class
>>> Jerry

10.15.1.3 of Derby client and I need to specify the driver name in the applications.properties
file (spring.datasource.driver-class-name= *****). Prior to this version I would have used
org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver in the derbyclient.jar .. but it not longer exists in 10.15.1.3
of Derby? I've looked through all the other Derby artifacts for this version and cannot find
the class.

>>> Should I be doing something different with this version of Derby? (because of
the modularisation introduced in Java 9?) I couldn't see anything in the documentation for
v10.15.1.3.