Thank you all for the suggestions. However, I decided to downgrade to Java 8 (OpenJDK 8), as I realized that the tutorial I was following was actually also using OpenJDK 8, and I didn't feel confident to venture out without help. I am however facing another issue with Derby, after downgrading where it throws an error. Will make a separate post about it in a moment.