db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Russell Bateman <r...@windofkeltia.com>
Subject Driver registration, Derby drivers and Derby versions
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2020 01:00:14 GMT
How do the myriad Derby drivers work?

I am using Apache Derby in-memory with no daemon or outside dependencies
in support of being called from JUnit tests. This is working pretty
well, but what it's going to be doing underneath will eventually cause
me to walk the following road, I think.

I am using 10.15.2.0. I find myself needing to register a driver such
that a call to DriverManager.getConnection()will find it. (Or, I think I
do; I'm looking at some existing homespun mocking code that does this
and I'm trying to imitate then replace it with Derby.)

     DriverManager.registerDriver( new
org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoLoadedDriver() );

Here and there, in examples on-line, I see references to drivers like:

    org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver
    org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver

However, unless I'm mistaken, these do not exist in derby 10.15.2.0. I
am using derby-10.15.2.0.jar. I have also tried adding the same
version's shared and tools JARs.

Any thoughts on this would help. I only discovered this phenomenon of
registering drivers today, so I'm stumbling around a bit.

Thanks.