db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Remijan <mjremi...@live.com>
Subject RE: Embedded database, authentication, and derby.system.home
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2021 14:05:11 GMT
Hi Rick,

Here is a working Java example for you. It’s fully self-contained with its own JRE so all
you need do is download it and run it. This bin distribution is for Windows, so sorry if you’re
on another platform.  It’s too big for email, so I have it on my OneDrive https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao0GHBDYRFEMgbMss-5a_R3q1GOvBQ?e=npfMBd

First, download, unzip, then run /bin/start-resiste.bat. You’ll see the following:
[cid:image001.png@01D71EF8.C4AFB090]

Next, m move the /data directory to a different location and then update /conf/db.properties.
[cid:image002.png@01D71EF9.233513D0]

Next, run /bin/start-resiste.bat again. You’ll see the following error:
[cid:image003.png@01D71EF9.233513D0]

Next, update /bin/start-resiste.bat to make sure derby.system.home is in sync with the new
location of the database:
[cid:image004.png@01D71EF9.3A7B5450]

Next, run /bin/start-resiste.bat again. You’ll see it’s now successful with /conf/db.properties
and /bin/start-resiste.bat in sync
[cid:image001.png@01D71EF8.C4AFB090]

Now here is a big Caveat. I discovered this while getting this demo together. I have Derby
10.14.2.0 installed on my computer. For my first attempt at this demo, I created the database
from scratch using 10.14.2.0. When I did this, I DID NOT experience the connection error as
described above. However, when I use my original database, I DO experience the error as demonstrated
above. Unfortunately, I do not remember which version of Derby I used to create the original
database, but obviously it was an older version. So perhaps this has something to do with
an older database version?

Mike