db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Remijan <mjremi...@live.com>
Subject RE: Embedded database, authentication, and derby.system.home
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2021 11:59:32 GMT
I'll see if I can reproduce it with ij, but I'm not sure. The error is with the Java client
connecting to and starting an embedded database. There's no SQL at play since it's the connecting
and starting that's failing.  If I can reproduce it with ij I'll let you know.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 1:09 PM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Embedded database, authentication, and derby.system.home

Sorry. I need SQL scripts. I can't make sense of a compiled application
with no source code.

On 3/22/21 7:05 AM, Michael Remijan wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Here is a working Java example for you. It's fully self-contained with its own JRE so
all you need do is download it and run it. This bin distribution is for Windows, so sorry
if you're on another platform.  It's too big for email, so I have it on my OneDrive https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2F1drv.ms%2Fu%2Fs!Ao0GHBDYRFEMgbMss-5a_R3q1GOvBQ%3Fe%3DnpfMBd&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc6fb22f26340407b616708d8ed5d8d2e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637520333338352293%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=jBxtsRB9m9TvwKtQyrIrTFjajbrz%2FUTDqXbECfFuhD4%3D&amp;reserved=0

> First, download, unzip, then run /bin/start-resiste.bat. You'll see the following:
> [cid:image001.png@01D71EF8.C4AFB090]
>

> Next, m move the /data directory to a different location and then update /conf/db.properties.
> [cid:image002.png@01D71EF9.233513D0]
>

> Next, run /bin/start-resiste.bat again. You'll see the following error:
> [cid:image003.png@01D71EF9.233513D0]
>

> Next, update /bin/start-resiste.bat to make sure derby.system.home is in sync with the
new location of the database:
> [cid:image004.png@01D71EF9.3A7B5450]
>
> Next, run /bin/start-resiste.bat again. You'll see it's now successful with /conf/db.properties
and /bin/start-resiste.bat in sync
> [cid:image001.png@01D71EF8.C4AFB090]
>

> Now here is a big Caveat. I discovered this while getting this demo together. I have
Derby 10.14.2.0 installed on my computer. For my first attempt at this demo, I created the
database from scratch using 10.14.2.0. When I did this, I DID NOT experience the connection
error as described above. However, when I use my original database, I DO experience the error
as demonstrated above. Unfortunately, I do not remember which version of Derby I used to create
the original database, but obviously it was an older version. So perhaps this has something
to do with an older database version?

> Mike

it. I have created the following scripts in order to reproduce the behavior of both changing
the value of derby.system.home and moving the database to another directory:

> First SQL script nativeTest.sql:
>
> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;create=true;user=dbo';
>

> CALL syscs_util.syscs_create_user( 'DBO', 'dbo_password' );
>

> -- shutdown in order to enable NATIVE authentication
>
> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;shutdown=true';
>

> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';
>

> VALUES SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_GET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.authentication.provider');
>

> CREATE TABLE t(a INT);
>
> INSERT INTO t VALUES (1), (2);
>

> Second SQL script nativeTest2.sql:
>
> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zz/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';
>

> SELECT * FROM t;
>

> Then a shell script (z1) to run nativeTest.sql, move the database to another directory,
then run nativeTest2.sql:

> #! /bin/bash
>
> #
>
> # Run a derby test
>

> rm -rf z/db1
>
> rm -rf zz/db1
>
> rm zzz/*
>
> rm zzzz/*
>

> . setupClasspath
>

> java -cp $CLASSPATH -Dderby.system.home=/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zzz -Dderby.language.logStatementText=true
-Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0 org.apache.derby.tools.ij  $MAC_HOME/sql/nativeTest.sql

> mv z/db1 zz/
>

> java -cp $CLASSPATH -Dderby.system.home=/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zzzz -Dderby.language.logStatementText=true
-Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0 org.apache.derby.tools.ij  $MAC_HOME/sql/nativeTest2.sql

> When I run z1, I get the following output:
>
> ij version 10.16
>
> ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;create=true;user=dbo';
>
> ij> CALL syscs_util.syscs_create_user( 'DBO', 'dbo_password' );
>
> 0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
>
> ij> -- shutdown in order to enable NATIVE authentication
>
> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;shutdown=true';
>
> ERROR 08006: Database '/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1' shutdown.
>
> ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/z/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';
>
> ij(CONNECTION1)> VALUES SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_GET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.authentication.provider');
>
> 1
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> NATIVE::LOCAL
>

> 1 row selected
>
> ij(CONNECTION1)> CREATE TABLE t(a INT);
>
> 0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
>
> ij(CONNECTION1)> INSERT INTO t VALUES (1), (2);
>
> 2 rows inserted/updated/deleted
>
> ij(CONNECTION1)> ij version 10.16
>
> ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/zz/db1;user=dbo;password=dbo_password';
>
> ij> SELECT * FROM t;

> -----------
>
> 1
>
> 2
>

> 2 rows selected
>

> Can you post a similar set of scripts which demonstrate the problem you are seeing?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick
>
> On 3/19/21 11:14 AM, Michael Remijan wrote:
>
> NATIVE.
>

> After creating the database I, I set the 'sa' user like this:
>

> ij> CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CREATE_USER('sa', 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx');
>

> Then I create the application user like this:
>

> CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CREATE_USER('resiste_standalone', 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx');
>

> And I have the following in derby.properties
>

> # Passwords don't expire for 20 years
>
> derby.authentication.native.passwordLifetimeMillis=631138520000
>
> # Use the best hash algorithm you can
>
> derby.authentication.builtin.algorithm=SHA-512
>
> # Use a larger salt length for better security
>
> derby.authentication.builtin.saltLength=128
>
> # Re-hash this number of times for better security
>
> derby.authentication.builtin.iterations=1564
>

> BTW, I've updated code to dynamically System.setProperty("derby.system.home","/path/to/dir");
at runtime based off of user configuration. That been successful. So if I move the database
to somewhere other than my application's default location, I set derby.system.home at runtime
based on that configuration.

> I also found that this is only a factor with embedded databases where the path to the
database is a fully qualified file system path. If the configuration uses a remote database,
the value for derby.system.home doesn't seem to matter.

is a typical for an open source project:

> /projectname
>
>      /bin
>
>          start.sh   // starts the application
>
>     /data
>
>        /projectdb  // this is the derby database.
>

> My projectdb database also has a specific username, password, and permissions/roles on
that user.

> When I start the application, the "start.sh" script sets the -Dderby.system.home to the
"/data" directory and my JDBC connection URL figures out the fully qualified location of the
"/projectdb" directory so Derby can easily access it. This all works perfectly fine.

> Then I wanted to run a test where I moved the /projectdb directory to a different location.
I though  I would be able to do this with no problems. But I was wrong :( When I do this I
get the following authentication exception

> Caused by: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: Connection authentication failure
occurred.  Reason: Invalid authentication..

>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.newSQLException(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.checkUserCredentials(Unknown
Source)

>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver$1.run(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver$1.run(Unknown Source)
>
>           at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
>
>           at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)
>
>           at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:247)
>
>           at org.ferris.resiste.console.sql.SqlConnectionProducer.postConstruct(SqlConnectionProducer.java:31)
>
>           ... 67 more
>
> Caused by: ERROR 08004: Connection authentication failure occurred.  Reason: Invalid
authentication..

>           at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
>
>           at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown
Source)

>           ... 84 more
>

> Which I thought was kind of odd. What I eventually discovered is the -Dderby.system.home
value and the location of the database must be in sync. If they are not, I get the authentication
exception. If do not set the -Dderby.system.home value, I get this authentication exception.

> Originally, I remember setting the -Dderby.system.home value because I wanted the derby.log
files created in that directory. I didn't expect this value would also be critical for connecting
to the database with a username/password.  I haven't tried it unauthenticated, but it seems
to me I should be able to move the location of the database around and as long as I'm connecting
to the database, authentication should work OK regardless of -Dderby.system.home and the location
of the database being in sync.  This make sense?