directory-api mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenLDAP schema
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 17:08:35 GMT
<disclaimer>
  You can skip my comments, and jump to the very end of this mail, where
I try to offer a constructive response, if you are not interested in
rants ;-)
</disclaimer>

Le 19/03/15 16:14, Radovan Semancik a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to use the directory API with OpenLDAP schema. I've got
> errors like this:
>
> ERR_04306 Cannot find a Syntax object 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.3
> while building cross-references for the attributeTypes AttributeType.
>
> ... and for a good reason. OpenLDAP (2.4.31) does not declare syntax
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.3 in its schema. Yes, I know that OpenLDAP
> 2.4.31 is a bit old,

It's not old, it's prehistoric. More exactly, 4 years old.

> but it is in debian-derived distributions and therefore it is quite
> popular.
and it should not be. It's like ie6, who was popular, up to recently,
and it was a PITA to those who wanted to write decent sites.

The question here is : is the API works with a more recent version of
OpenLDAP ?

> So I really look for a way how to support it.
IMHO, that is a double mistake :
- first because it would imply some huge modifications in the way the
schema manager works,
- and second it will make people think that 2.4.32 is usable, which is not.

Seriously, going in production with openLDAP 2.4.32 is a sever mistake !

> What do you think would be the best way to do this?

Well, the best way would be to switch to a decent version of openLDAP.

> Should these error be muted when a quirks mode is on? Or is that too
> much and we need something like superquirks mode? ;-) The studio
> obviously works with OpenLDAP. Does anybody know how does the studio
> manages this?
Pretty simple : we don't know anything about OpenLDAP schema, when we
are connected to an OpenLDAP server.

Ok, that being said, the important question is : is the API works with a
more recent version of OpenLDAP ?